How to Start A Home Care Agency
The first step to becoming a home care agency is answering the questions listed below.
What kind of provider do you want to be? What kind of services do you want to provide? Skilled? Non-Skilled? PCA? Licensed?
- If you want to provide skilled services in the state of Minnesota you must have a Class A license and/or be Medicare certified.
- If you want to provide primarily assistance with activities of daily living you can be a Personal Care Provider Organization.
- Licensure is administered through the Minnesota Department of Health. PCA services are handled through the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
- Corporate structure can be defined and completed at the Secretary of State’s Office.
- Understanding licensure requirements
- How to apply and register with your state
- Consulting Services
What payer source are you looking to work with? Medicare? Medicaid? Private Pay? Managed Care?
Have you done a Business Plan? Marketing Plan? Budgeting/Cash Flow Analysis? Where do you plan to get referrals from?
You should have a Business Plan in place before you start your agency. There are several sources out there to help write business plans like consultants, SCORE, etc. This is also true for marketing plans and budgeting.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON BUSINESS PLANS AND HOW TO WRITE THEM CLICK HERE OR CONTACT MHCA TRUSTED ADVISORS PATHWAY HEALTH, or EIDE BAILLY.
- Marketing Plan
- Business Plan
- Financial Plan Worksheet
- Setting Rates
- Financial Strategies
How do you plan to recruit and retain staff? Pay Structure? Benefits?
Staffing is the most important part of your business. It will be important to recruit, train, and retain good quality, caring, and consistent staff. There are many recruitment tools available including: Networking, newspaper, recruiters, social networks, etc.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON HUMAN RESOURCES CONTACT MHCA TRUSTED ADVISORS: VOIGHT, RODE & BOXETH, LLC
- HR & Labor Laws
- Service Agreements
- Policies and Procedures
- Employee Job Descriptions & educational requirements
Do I need Insurance and what types and levels do I need?
You will need Workers’ Comp insurance, Liability insurance, Surety bond, Fidelity bond, at a minimum. Some organizations provide health and dental insurance for its staff. We work with several qualified insurance brokers who would be willing to assist you with your insurance needs.
- Assurity Bonds
- Fidelity Bonds
- Benefit Plans
More information can be obtained by calling 651-635-0607.